Freelance Writing and Editing
- Write and edit blog content for digital publication for clients in varying industries, such as food and beverage, health and wellness, travel, automotive, manufacturing, and banking.
- Write and publish social media content for nonprofit organizations such as League of Women Voters of Dane County/Voter ID Coalition and Women’s Medical Fund of Wisconsin.
- Develop and write patient-focused digital and print materials for global biotechnology firm.
- Research and write patient tip sheets and video scripts for international medical content publisher.
- Research and write digital content designed to increase engagement among professional women in the workplace.
- Research and write patient- and family-focused consumer news articles for UW Health.
- Research and write web content for Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association.
- Research and write feature articles for On Wisconsin Magazine; Badger Insider Magazine; Gargoyle UW Law School Alumni Magazine; Wisconsin Historical Society’s Columns newsletter.
- Conceptualize and write animated video scripts for TruScribe Moving Messages. Clients have included non-profit organizations, pharmaceutical firms and laboratories, app designers and international hotel chains; their varied audiences include employees, donors, patients, travelers and B2B partners.
- Edit manuscripts for full-length non-fiction digital and print publications.
- Write press releases for clients in industries such as digital content management and health care compliance software.
- Wrote television recaps and thematic blog posts for publication for Entertainment Weekly’s The Community.
WPS Health Solutions
August 2016-October 2019
- Wrote and edited award-winning advertising collateral, patient, and business materials and internal communications, including print, video, and digital content.
- In the role of multimedia producer, coordinated video production, wrote scripts, and interviewed customers, employees, and agents; 2018 “Because We Care” television ad campaign supporting Medicare supplement product doubled leads and contributed to 40% increase in sales.
- Launched internal communications video series; producer and host of bi-weekly interviews with President and CEO.
- Curated and wrote content to support company’s strategic priorities as editor of monthly newsletter targeted to Medicare supplement insurance customers. Achieved above-industry standard open rate of 50% and click rate of 9%.
- Developed and maintained marketing regulatory library and style guides to ensure compliance with government guidelines.
- Monitored workflows and interfaced with internal clients to ensure accurate and timely project completion.
- Trained and supported team on workflow management software, including developing tip sheets and guides.
October 2014-July 2016
- Researched and wrote feature stories and consumer news for publication on digital platforms.
- Supported staff of over 16,000 employees via intranet; included writing and editing content and page design and updates.
- Informed internal communications strategy through collaboration with corporate communications team.
- Led internal and external communications efforts for organization’s sustainability team.
Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association
May 2010-September 2014
- As managing editor of uwalumni.com and supportuw.org, developed and implemented content strategy and editorial calendar for digital platforms, based on established corporate communications principles and strategic marketing priorities.
- Produced original content for print and digital publications, including social media copy and graphics, feature articles, blog posts, photos and videos.
- Researched and wrote cover story for Spring 2014 and Summer 2015 Badger Insider magazine.
- Launched new young alumni blog in May 2014; copy-edited, distributed content and supervised freelance contributors.
- Worked closely with digital marketing team and external agency to research, develop and design new com in 2014; led team members in editorial best practices, site mapping and content migration process.
- Engaged daily with UW-Madison alumni via social media @WisAlumni on Twitter and Facebook; drove rebrand and marketing of new WAA social media accounts in 2013, including research, management of design and promotion.
- Helped plan and execute digital campaign for $10 million cross-campus fundraising effort in 2012 and 2013, which included coordinating cross-campus social media efforts and media outreach.
- Led cross-campus social media team in 2013 “Fill the Hill” micro-campaign, raising over $100,000 in 24 hours.
- Worked as integral member of digital marketing team to research, develop and design new uwalumni.com in 2014; led team members in content migration and editorial best practices.
- Tracked website and social media analytics to guide marketing and communication strategy.
Gio’s Garden Respite Center
June 2010-July 2014
- Crafted regular email and social media communications to supporters, donors and community members by coordinating message priorities from staff and board members, and implementing strategic message priorities.
- Wrote annual end-of-the-year mailing, which in its first year resulted in $8,000 in donations, many from lapsed donors.
- Led event planning, marketing and media outreach efforts for annual fundraiser, raising $200,000 over five years.
- Led event planning and public relations for 2012 grand opening, attended by 300 supporters and local news media.
WKOW-TV and WKOW.com
Internet Director (January 2009-May 2010)
- Managed minute-to-minute content on CMS-driven website.
- Wrote and edited copy, edited and posted video and oversaw the creation of innovative widgets and web applications.
- Conceptualized graphics and design for new pages and web marketing campaigns.
- Cross-promoted web channel and on-air broadcast through web copy and direct email, social media and text messaging.
- Provided leadership, direction and guidance for news and sales staff of 50; includes supervising reporters and producers by assigning stories, and editing and proofreading web copy and blogs.
- Trained staff on new media applications and implemented system to encourage full participation.
- Spearheaded major redesign of wkowtv.com in 2008 to improve user experience and highlight feature content.
Newscast Producer (May 2004-January 2009)
- Produced daily newscasts, which included making major editorial decisions, creating rundowns, writing and proofreading scripts and timing the newscast.
- Managed crisis communications and last-minute editorial decisions.
- Supervised 5-10 reporters and photographers during daily assignments.
- Shaped ideas for graphics in news broadcasts.
- Rewrote copy for broadcast on web channel.
Wisconsin Public Television
May 2003-May 2004
- Assistant-produced and field reported for weekly half-hour political news program “Here and Now.”
- Supervised post-production of show segments, including writing scripts and conceptualizing graphics.
- Supported producer and anchor; greeted and handled guests.
- Wrote and published copy for program website.
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Journalism Bachelor of Arts
Bachelor of Arts in Communication Arts (Radio, TV and Film)