In me you get:
- an experienced marketing and communications professional with more than 15 years of success in writing, editing, and content strategy
- an organized, detail-oriented project manager and problem-solver driven to look for innovative ways to create efficiencies and improve processes
- a collaborative team player who can also work independently and anticipate what’s needed next
- a stickler for accuracy, efficiency, and deadlines
- an empathetic and inclusive team leader
- a skilled communicator who will go the extra mile to provide outstanding service and support to external clients and internal teams with a smile
Freelance Writer, Editor, and Multimedia Producer
- Business management and operations; includes project coordination, generating leads and cultivating client relationships, marketing and promotions, filing, recordkeeping, and invoicing.
- Research, write, and edit advertising materials, blogs and website copy, video scripts, internal communications, and feature articles for clients that range from non-profit organizations, local businesses, and renowned print publications, to universities and alumni associations, a national health insurance provider, and a global biotechnology firm. (See Portfolio for samples of my work!)
League of Women Voters of Dane County & Dane County Voter ID Coalition – Dane County, WI
Mission: promote informed and active participation of citizens in government at all levels
- Coordinated large-scale multi-platform advertising campaign with a budget of $50,000 to safely communicate with and assist voters during the COVID-19 pandemic, resulting in 1,820+ calls to the Voter Helpline Oct.–Nov. 2020.
- Assist Apartment Project with communication materials, data organization, and strategic planning.
- Facilitate voter registration and education in person and via phone and text; answer voter inquires by phone.
- Upgraded data management process to better track and improve relationships with community partners.
City Council Campaign – Fitchburg, WI
Dec. 2019–April 2020
- Oversaw all aspects of a winning nonpartisan campaign, including crisis communications during COVID-19 pandemic, volunteer engagement, budgeting and finance, data entry, and standardizing processes and file storage.
- Provided full range of support to ensure candidate’s success. Included regular check-ins as needed; establishing calendars, shared documents, and file storage; and implementing standardized processes.
- Led production of communications materials, including literature, mail, print, and digital advertising, from concept and copywriting to art direction, printing logistics, website updates, and newspaper ad placement, working closely with vendors and volunteer designers and photographers.
WPS Health Solutions – Madison, WI
National not-for-profit health insurer and global supplier of health insurance administration for military personnel
August 2016-October 2019
- Wrote and edited award-winning advertising collateral, patient and business materials, and internal communications, including print, video, and digital content.
- In the role of multimedia producer, coordinated video production, wrote scripts, and interviewed customers, employees, and agents; 2018 “Because We Care” television ad campaign supporting Medicare supplement product doubled leads and contributed to 40% increase in sales.
- Launched internal communications video series; producer and host of bi-weekly interviews with President and CEO.
- Curated and wrote content to support company’s strategic priorities as editor of monthly newsletter targeted to Medicare supplement insurance customers. Achieved above-industry standard open rate of 50% and click rate of 9%.
- Developed and maintained marketing regulatory library and style guides to ensure compliance with government guidelines.
- Monitored workflows and interfaced with internal clients to ensure accurate and timely project completion.
- Trained and supported team on workflow management software, including developing tip sheets and guides.
UW Health – Madison, WI
Integrated health system serving patients in the Midwest at seven hospitals and more than 80 outpatient sites.
October 2014-July 2016
- Supported staff of over 16,000 employees via intranet; included writing and editing content and page design and updates.
- Researched and wrote feature stories and consumer news for publication on digital platforms.
- Informed internal communications strategy through collaboration with corporate communications team.
- Led internal and external communications efforts for organization’s sustainability team.
Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association – Madison, WI
Official fundraising and alumni engagement organization of the University of Wisconsin.
May 2010-September 2014
- As managing editor of uwalumni.com, developed and implemented content strategy and editorial calendar for digital platforms, based on established corporate communications principles and strategic marketing priorities.
- Produced original content for print and digital publications, including social media copy and graphics, feature articles, blog posts, photos, and videos.
- Formed and led digital newsroom team by assigning content to videographers, writers, and designers; edited and proofread copy, graphics, layout, and videos; and managed workflow and deadlines.
- Launched new young alumni blog in May 2014; edited copy, distributed content, and supervised freelance contributors.
- Engaged daily with UW-Madison alumni via social media @WisAlumni on Twitter and Facebook; drove rebrand and marketing of new WAA social media accounts in 2013, including research, design management, and promotion.
- Led cross-campus team in inaugural “Fill the Hill” micro-campaign, raising $100,000+ for UW Annual Fund in 24 hours.
- Worked as integral member of digital marketing team to research, develop and design new uwalumni.com in 2014; led team members in content migration and editorial best practices.
- Tracked website and social media analytics to guide marketing and communication strategy.
Gio’s Garden Respite Center – Middleton, WI
Mission: nurture and strengthen families with children with special needs by increasing access to needed services.
June 2010-July 2014
- Led event planning, marketing, and media outreach efforts for annual fundraiser, raising $200,000 over five years.
- Led event planning and public relations for 2012 grand opening, attended by 300 supporters and local news media.
- Wrote annual end-of-the-year mailing, which in its first year resulted in $8,000 in donations, many from lapsed donors.
- Crafted regular email and social media communications to supporters, donors, and community members by coordinating message priorities from staff and board members, and implementing strategic message priorities.
WKOW-TV and WKOW.com – Madison, WI
Internet Director (January 2009-May 2010)
- Provided leadership, direction, and guidance for news and sales staff of 50; includes supervising reporters and producers by assigning stories, and editing and proofreading web copy and blogs.
- Managed minute-to-minute content on CMS-driven website.
- Wrote and edited copy, edited and posted video, and oversaw the creation of innovative widgets and web applications.
- Conceptualized graphics and design for new pages and web marketing campaigns.
- Cross-promoted web channel and on-air broadcast through web copy and direct email, social media, and text messaging.
- Trained staff on new media applications and implemented system to encourage full participation.
- Spearheaded major redesign of wkowtv.com in 2008 to improve user experience and highlight feature content.
Newscast Producer (May 2004-January 2009)
- Produced daily newscasts, which included making major editorial decisions, creating rundowns, writing and proofreading scripts, and timing the newscast.
- Managed crisis communications and last-minute editorial decisions.
- Supervised 5-10 reporters and photographers during daily assignments.
- Shaped ideas for graphics in news broadcasts.
- Rewrote copy for broadcast on web channel.
Wisconsin Public Television – Madison, WI
May 2003-May 2004
- Assistant-produced and field reported for weekly half-hour political news program “Here and Now.”
- Supervised post-production of show segments, including writing scripts and conceptualizing graphics.
- Supported producer and anchor; greeted and handled guests.
- Wrote and published copy for program website.
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Journalism Bachelor of Arts
Bachelor of Arts in Communication Arts (Radio, TV and Film)